Monday, February 8, 2010

Orange Juice or Cake?

I am lucky enough to know one of the few people in Southern California with a fruit tree in their back yard. I was at their house this weekend for a 40th birthday party and asked the host if I could take home a few oranges. He is nice, generous guy to begin with, but after consuming several birthday Basil Hayden's, he was extra generous and sent me home with a huge bag!

My good friend Whitney just gave me the book, "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg. I haven't made anything yet from the book but there are so many good recipes that I want to try! There is a recipe for Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cake with Glazed Oranges and Creme Fraiche. I can either continue to use the oranges for fresh squeezed orange juice and try to offset the weight gain from the bread and butter I have been eating, or I can try making the cake with the glazed oranges. Hmmm...For those of us that live in cities and don't have a yard or any space to grow anything, we have to head to the farmer's market. I happen to live by a really cute one!

Don't get too jealous of us out here in California though. We've got a 12.4% Unemployment rate and our state is bankrupt! But, we do have good produce and sun year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment