Friday, February 19, 2010

Fume Salad

My family has been making this salad for years and it's always a big hit at parties, potlucks, etc. I thought it was an old family recipe until last summer I saw it a friend's BBQ. Confused, I asked the woman that brought it where she got the recipe. Come to find out, it's all over the Internet and even has it's own Facebook page. So, this is not an old family recipe and I'm probably the 195th person to post this, but here it is.....
Ingredients:
1 head of cabbage
2 Tablespoons of sesame seeds
3 green onions sliced
1/2 cup almonds
1 package top ramen noodles
3/4 cup oil (olive, canola or vegetable)
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
6 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
seasoning from Top Ramen
Directions:
1. Toast sesame seeds and almonds in a pan. (they will burn quickly so keep an eye on them)
2. Chop cabbage and mix in a bowl with the onions, toasted seeds and almonds.
3. Break up the Top Ramen and add to bowl.
4. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients for the dressing. (Sugar, oil, salt, pepper, vinegar and seasoning packet)
5. Pour dressing over the salad, mix and enjoy!
This can be made ahead of time and eaten the next day as leftovers. The cabbage won't get soggy.
I realize the last two posts included box cake mix and Top Ramen which generally would not be considered fine ingredients or found in Saveur magazine, but I do plan on redeeming myself and making french baguettes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment