Saturday, February 6, 2010

Good Guacamole

I hate to rub it in to my readers in DC and elsewhere on the east coast (I do yet have these readers, but I expect they will come around) that are currently experiencing the worst blizzard in 90 years, but, it is another warm, sunny day in Southern California.

Another benefit of living in Southern California, aside from the great weather, is that Hass avocados are in season and wonderful year round. I picked up two avocados yesterday for a $1 each.

I wouldn't think a recipe is necessary for guacamole, but I have to remember, not everyone lives in California and eats Mexican food several times a week. Being the wonderful person that my Mom is, each year she hosts several college choir students from Minnesota as they travel the country singing in different churches. The first night they arrive she makes a nice, big dinner. This year she made tacos with all the fixings. When she placed the guacamole on the table they didn't touch it. They also looked at the black, roundish items in her fruit bowl and asked what they were. Avocados she said. They had never heard of them. Suddenly, feeling like an exotic chef, my Mom explained to the Mid Westerners about avocados, how they grow, ways to prepare them and what they go well with.

My sister lives on Long Island in New York and once made nachos for her kids and all the neighbor kids that were over playing at her house. The other kids went home and told their parents of the wonderful nachos they had had. My sister later received a phone call from a mother asking for the recipe. "Recipe?" she said. "Chips and melted cheese. Salsa on the side if you want."

Because of these two instances, I now realize that some may appreciate a recipe.

Everyone has their own recipe for guacamole, this is how I usually make it.

2-3 ripe hass avocados
2 tablespoon of cilantro
1/4 cup white onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon of course salt (taste and add more if you like)
1 or 2 tomatoes, depending on size
1 glove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons diced jalapenos (some omit this)
a pinch of pepper
a squeeze of lime
Mix all together in a Molcajete. Some people mix the onions, cilantro, salt and garlic together first and then add the rest, that works well. Mix and serve.
I seldom have anything from the "itos" family in my house, so I made my own chips. Cut tortillas in triangles, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or oil and lay tortilla triangles flat on baking sheet. Spray the top of the tortillas. Bake in the oven for about 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and lightly salt.
While eating this today, all I could think about was Rosa Mexicano's in New York. I love this restaurant! My sister and I plan our days in Manhattan so that we are in a neighborhood that has a Rosa's around lunch time. The LA location opened this year, and it's good, but just not quite the same as New York. Have one of their delicious pomagranate margaritas and you will be feeling good and happy. Have two and you will be feeling really good and spend much more money then you intended to at Kate's Paperie down the street. Dont miss either next time you are in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment