This is a really tasty mushroom appetizer or dinner!
Adapted from the Oprah Magazine Cookbook, Chef Mollie Ahlstrand - Yes, I have an Oprah Cookbook! This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. mushrooms (I used button because they were on sale but can use porcini, shiitake, etc.)
1/4 cup white wine (plus extra for drinking while cooking)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 inch thick sliced rustic bread (I used the homemade whole wheat from previous post)
1 lb. fresh mozzarella (I used pre-shredded Trader Joe's mozzarella and it was fine)
2 Tablespoons Italian parsley (I omit this because I'm not a fan of parsley)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add chopped mushrooms and saute 3-4 minutes.
4. Add wine and increase heat to high and cook, stirring until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper.
6. Arrange bread on baking sheet and top with cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes.
7. Remove from oven when cheese is melted, top with mushroom mixture. Enjoy!
Mushroom & Fontina Quiche tomorrow. I've made this several times before. So good! I use skim milk rather than whole and it's still good.