Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Peanut Butter Fingers

I have a deep love for all things peanut butter, and had some free time, so today I made Peanut Butter Fingers from my Grandma's Lutheran Laymen's League Mixed Group Cookie Cookbook. I don't know how old it is but many recipes call for Oleo, all of the women on the cookbook committee signed their name using their husbands name (Mrs. William Smith, etc.) and it was typed with an old typewriter font, so I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old. I followed the directions exactly and it was good, but there are a few things I would do different next time. Cream together:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Blend in:
1 egg
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Stir in:
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
Spread in a 13" x 9" greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with small bag of chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes to melt and spread with a knife. I made toffee squares a few weeks ago and melted a larger Hershey bar over the top which would work well here also.
Mix together:
1/2 cup powdered sugar (I used more)
1/4 cup peanut butter
2-4 Tablespoons of milk
Drizzle over the top. I think the peanut butter/powdered sugar mixture is great, but I think it adds too much peanut butter to the cookies. It would be much better on a cupcake as frosting, not on this cookie. You don't need a pastry blender (pictured below), I just don't have an electric mixer.
I think the peanut butter with the oatmeal is a really nice mix! I would hold the frosting though and use it for cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. Noticed you switched to the costco vanilla. Best deal in town for baking. Same with the butter. Time to make more cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete